Friday, August 21, 2009

Fishing on the Clark Fork


I have been doing a little exploring on the Clark Fork above Missoula. It seems like the Blackfoot is getting quite a bit of fishing pressure now, and the fish aren't biting as good. I have been looking for places to take out above where Mill Town Dam is being deconstructed. I have just been fishing off of the bank when I find a place to access the river. This morning I caught a bunch of nice rainbows and browns, keeping one rainbow for dinner. I called Ashley and said I would be on my way home, but I wanted to go up river to see what kind of landings were by Clinton. I found the boat landing there with the little parking lot. I couldn't see the river from there, but I decided to grab my back pack and pole and go try it. I also about didn't go try it because there was a drift boat being launched at the same time. I fished around the middle pilon where there was a pretty good hole. I caught a decent bull trout which I was happy about. I don't catch too many bulls. The next cast I flung the rapala all the way across the river and let it work through the current. I hooked what I initially thought was a branch or something, but then the fish took off. He gave a good fight, and by the time he was coming in the other guys that were there came over to investigate. It was a real nice brown. The people launching the drift boat were nice enough to take some pictures for me.


No comments: