Sunday, August 2, 2009

Aaron Moon's Outfitters

The stars and planets aligned for the Moons and Hannis to have a fishing reunion. Since we were down in Idaho for the reunion, I was able to set up a fishing trip with Aaron and Adam Moon. We sure had some good memories from fishing when I was younger. Aaron now has a jet boat instead of the old fiberglass john boat we used to run. Kyle actually came with as well. I met Adam at around 7:00 in the morning, and we visited good ole Walmart to stock up on food and supplies. There is a healthy amount of competition between friends. Adam claimed this fish to give him the first of the day; we had a good time making fun of him. He actually fished with the fish as bait for a few casts after the catch. He also forgot his swim trunks, and was wearing some short bright red running shorts that hardily covered his white man thighs. Luckily, for the viewers good you can't see them in the picture.


We all landed some good fish with Aaron landing the biggin of the trip. For how big of fish we were catching, they really were biting soft. I was wearing polarized glasses and saw a bunch of huge fish just following by rapala, but they wouldn't strike at it or would strike light so they would quickly unhook. The fish that we did hook were fighters.

Midday the fishing wasn't quite as good, so Adam, Aaron, and I cooled off in the river. Kyle was wearing pants and wasn't planning on getting wet. The fishing Gods must have wanted otherwise. Late in the day we were motoring upstream to retrieve a snag. I was at the back end of the boat by the motor, and got the snag out. The boat began to drift downstream along the bank, but we didn't notice a big tree stump hanging out until it was too late. The engine hit the stump twisting the boat. I was just looking down at the engine to make sure nothing was wrong with it when I heard a huge splash. I turned to watch Adam retrieving a pole out of the river yelling "man overboard!" Kyle had flung out of the boat backwards downstream of the boat. It was kind of swift, but we got him back in the boat quickly. After we knew that nothing was wrong and got him an extra pair of clothes, we had a good laugh. "Hey, Kyle can you tell me where the fish were since you were down there?" Unfortunately, he had his smart phone in his pocket. We're hoping that it isn't ruined.



This was my first good fish of the day, a nice Hybrid/Cutbow




I caught this 5 lb. rainbow at the very end of the float. Adam had hooked a good fish just and lost it just before I hooked into this one. He jumped all over the place, and actually a couple times jumped higher than Kyle standing in the boat. I thought that I would have the big fish of the trip, but Aaron landed this one shortly after.
Aaron with his 6 lb. 3 oz. Hybrid/Cutbow. This was a monster fish.



Adam actually landed a small mouth bass. I didn't even know they were in the river. Aaron said that they catch small ones every once in awhile, but this is the biggest they have ever landed. The girls were good to let us go for the entire day, and we really enjoyed the float. I hope that we can meet up again sometime.
I caught this 10 pounder late when we got back from the float. Its a chunky poka dot trout. What a cute catch.

No comments: